While out on a 100km training ride, I had a revelation that cycling would be much more enjoyable at a slower pace and with someone else. Training for bike racing took up a lot of time, if you want to be competitive in racing you need to do the miles in training. Having raced at a representative level, I really had nothing else to aim for and the idea of a bike tour took shape. I suggested to Gaby that a bike tour from New Zealand to Europe would be a great way to continue travelling and see the world at a slower pace, fortunately Gaby agreed and so the preparations have begun.
Our bikes will be our transportation around the world and will also need to carry all that we own. We looked at purchasing complete bikes but did not really find a complete bike that suited our needs. Instead we have purpose built 2 touring bikes; they are designed for us and our trip.
- Frames: Surley LHT, 54cm blue frame for Gaby and 60cm Black Frame for Andrew
- Headsets: Cane Creek 40 Series with Ritchey Adjustable Stems 120mm
- Derailleurs: Shimano Deore LX T661 front and rear
- Brakes: Shimano Deore LX T660 V-Brakes front and rear
- Cranksets: Shimano MTB SLX Triple 22/32/44
- Pedals: Shimano A530
- Rear Cassette: Shimano SLX 9 speed HG80 11-34
- Gear Shifters: Shimano LX 9 speed T660
- Brake Levers: Shimano LX T660 V brake levers
- Wheels: Custom Built by Phil Wood. Front & rear 40 spoke, 26ˮ Velocity Cliffhanger
- Mudguards: SKS Chromoplastic
- Tyres: Schwalbe Marathon 26ˮ
- Seatposts: Thompson Elite
- Seats: Brooks Flyer (Andrew) and Flyer S Ladies (Gaby)
- Bars:‘Butterfly’ design bars, bought via Australia
NOTE: If you decide to purchase the Surley LHT frameset, like us, you will also need to get Shimano STI Cable Stops. The Surley LHT is a widely used bike frame that is designed for long trips and heavy loads. The frame is 4130 CroMoly steel which means it is strengthened, repairable and is also affordable. Gaby’s Surley LHT is blue and Andrew’s is black.
- Trailers: 2x BOB Ibex
- Racks: Tubus Ergo Lowrider (front) and Tubus Cargo (rear)
- Panniers: Ortlieb Back-Roller Classic and Front-Roller Classic
- Camping Gear: Macpac Macrolight tent and Latitude sleeping bags, MSR XGK multi fuel stove, Katadyn Vario EU water filter and Gerber Multi Tools
- Electronics: PowerGorilla and SolarGorilla portable solar power system, Garmin GPS and map cards, Macbook Air and i Phone.